Sunday, December 23, 2012

Earrings

Aubrey and her friend Katelyn got their ears pierced in November.  Katelyn turned 8 years old, and wanted to get her ears pierced for her birthday.  These 2 girls have been best friends since they were 1 year.
 Katelyn wanted to go first since it was her birthday.  She was very scared.  She was shaking and crying crocodile tears.  Aubrey kept on telling her to be brave, and that she would go first.  It took about a 1/2 hour to convince her to get them done.  They told her they would say, "1, 2, 3, earring." and pierce the ear on "earring."  She screamed when they said earring.  Afterwards I asked Aubrey how she thought Katelyn's ears looked.  She said, "They look beautiful, but I'm not going to get mine done."  What?  Aubrey was being so brave during Katelyn's turn.  Aubrey didn't cry.  She was very matter of fact when she said it.  She told me she could "Wait a year or two." She said that I lied, that it does hurt because Katelyn screamed.  I told her it hurts like a shot, not that it didn't hurt at all.  I lifted her in the chair and was holding her there while the lady was cleaning the gun.  I then had the thought, "at what point is this considered child abuse?"  I know she wants them done, and is scared, but if anyone were to walk by, they would think I was the meanest parent in the world. 
As soon as she brought out the earrings, Aubrey calmed down.  She was good while they marked her ears.  When it was time to pierce her ears though, she needed to squeeze both of my hands and close her eyes.

Afterwards we went out for lunch and dessert to celebrate.  Once they were finished piercing her ears, Aubrey started laughing saying that it didn't hurt that bad.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun memory. Way to be brace girls! I remember being so scared! They are such cute friends!

    ReplyDelete